Is it a ball? A weight? A cruel joke on those suffering from middle-school dodge-ball nightmares? Yeah, medicine balls are weird. And yes, medicine ball workouts look a bit silly (then again, what workout doesn’t look semi-ridiculous). But you might be surprised to know just how effective those little weighted orbs can be. Don’t believe us? Here’s why you might want to start using a medicine ball:
- They’re not just for boxers. Rocky Balboa may have shown off his medicine ball prowess, but he’s not the only one. These days, everyone from college athletes to soccer moms to senior citizens are giving medicine balls a try.
- Medicine balls come in a variety of sizes and weights, so there’s a perfect fit for everyone.
- Think they’re just for arm strength? Think again. Medicine ball training can target the arms, abs, back, spine, hips, thighs, and more. It all depends on which exercise you do. Uncertain as to how to use one? Ask a trainer or look online for endless workout options.
- Using a medicine ball while you exercise means that you can do shorter, harder workouts instead of wasting hours of time. The weight of the ball brings added intensity to your workout, so you can achieve maximum results in a short amount of time.
- Medicine ball workouts aren’t just for strength building. Most medicine ball workouts combine strength training with cardiovascular training. Your heart will be pumping and your muscles will be working!
- Today’s medicine balls are a far cry from your parent’s medicine balls. Gone are the tattered leather medicine balls that predated modern fitness equipment. Nowadays, medicine balls come with rubber surfaces that make them easy to grip. Plus, they bounce, so there’s plenty of exercises that are unique to medicine ball workouts.
Ready to order your own medicine ball? Check out Fitness Direct for the best in Home & Commercial Exercise Equipment. And for an inside peak at upcoming sales be sure to follow Fitness Direct on Twitter!